Phil,

I'm glad you find the idea of interest, because I'm sure you could greatly contribute towards the idea.

Please note that we haven't simply been thinking of designing a better 5400/5500. We've also been thinking about a design that could be used in the field and after a disaster/in an emergency. And a design that could be replicated in countries around the globe. Hence 12v automotive motors and bicycle sprockets were all part of the brainstormed recipe!

Your 9dof IMU idea is sexy! Just think -- with TWO of them, you could compensate for the motion of the station, when operating from, say, a boat or a vehicle under way. (Nobody say "GPS" please!) One RTC chip, a USB interface to the laptop or bluetooth interface to the Android tablet... But it sounds less and less like you will be able to source much of it in the "third world." Which is where I happen to live.

Still, it sure sounds interesting! What do you think it would cost to put one together?