Les,

I hope I'm interpreting your question correctly.

The big challenge for someone trying to collect grid squares during Field
Day is that the "contest exchange" for Field Day doesn't include the grid
square.  Most folks will be trying to make as many contacts as possible,
as quickly as possible, for Field Day points.

My suggestion is that you plan to participate as an AMSAT Field Day
participant.  After the contest, send each of your contacts a QSL card.
Request that they send you a QSL in reply *with* their grid square.  This
way you've made everyone you contact happy *and* you get a QSL with the
grid square you need.

To participate in Field Day, you don't have to register with either the
ARRL or with AMSAT before the contest, and you don't have to send in a
log.

Your Field Day exchange would probably be "November One Lima Foxtrot, One
Delta Alabama", that is, your call (N1LF), your "class" (for example, 1D),
and your ARRL Section (Alabama).  A class of 1D means one transmitter and
working from home using commercial power.

You're welcome to try SO-50 during Field Day, but it will be frustrating.
On any given pass, there will likely be two or three successful contacts
among the 500-1000 hams attempting to make a contact.  (So 6 happy people
and 994 unhappy people.)

I do *strongly* encourage you to join the fun on the linear satellites
(AO-7, FO-29, and VO-52).  *Please* make as many contacts as you can on
the linear birds!

73, Steve N9IP
--
Steve Belter, s...@wintek.com