A good source of antennas and antenna advice is Dave W6OAL

http://www.hamtv.com/oal.html

He likes Loop yagis for 23cm

-----Original Message-----
From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Rolf Krogstad
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2013 10:23 AM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Helical Antenna on 70 cm

I am new to satellites and new to the design requirements for UHF and am
looking for advice.

I am looking to build a Helical antenna for the 70cm Band.  I am considering
the plans for such an antenna from the 2010 edition of the ARRL Satellite
Handbook.  The plans call for a 235 cm (7' 8") long, 2.5 cm (1") diameter
center support made of either a wooden dowel which has been treated or a
fiberglass tube.  It also requires multiple 7.6 cm (3") spacers for the
helical element.

My question is would fiberglass rods made of "Isophthlic Polyester Resin"
be a good choice of material at UHF frequencies?
I hesitate to use treated wood because I plan to mount this on the top of a
15 meter high tower and it isn't very accessible.

Thanks

Rolf   NR0T
[EN34]