I am sure this has been hashed over in the past but as a novice to the
birds I am not sure how to proceed when operating one of the linear
transpondesr.

I looked at the latest editions of two ARRL publications:
ARRL Operators Manual, edition 9, copyright 1007-2011
ARRL Satellite Handbook, copyright 2010

Both are very clear about how one should allow for Doppler shift on the
linear transponders.

One clearly says find your spot and then use the downlink VFO to adjust for
Doppler shift, don't touch the uplink VFO after the initial setting of the
frequency.

The other clearly says find your spot and then use the uplink VFO to adjust
for Doppler shift, don't touch the downlink VFO after the initial setting
of the frequency.

Color me confused...

Rolf NR0T
Amsat #38889