From: Philip Jenkins [mailto:n4hf.phi...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2013 7:33 AM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: Better/best operating system for SatPC32?

Thanks for the replies. I do have a Win 7-64 machine with 4GB RAM as my main
PC; I've just never used the 32 bit version and wanted to see if I needed to
avoid it.

I should have added that these refurbed machines (which are ITX/small form
factor) already have the OS (Win 7-32 or Win 7-64) installed. They are
listed as off-lease, so I'm guessing that they were networked to a server
since they only have 1-2 GB RAM.

As for the Linux suggestion, that did cross my mind and am still considering
it. I do have an older ATX tall-tower with Ubuntu installed, but haven't
played with it much; it's a bit bigger than I would want to carry to a Field
Day/demo site. I haven't played with Xastir at all.

The refurbs are pretty cheap, so I may get two and install XP on one and
some flavor of Linux on the other (I'm the most familiar with Ubuntu (but
that isn't saying much), but open to suggestions.) Does Linux still support
serial ports?

Philip N4HF