--- On Fri, 31/5/13, K5VOU <k5v...@verizon.net> wrote:
> 1.) There is already a transponder on the ISS albeit an FM
> U/V one.
>
> 2.) It is not in use because it is either:
> a.) a 'power hog' or
> b.) it is not functioning properly or
> c.) NASA does not want it functioning as an open repeater.

The answer must be d.) doesn't work at all.

As has previously been mentioned the Kenwood TM-D700 which had the capability
of acting as a 437/145 MHz FM repeater ceased functioning - it does work any
more, it couldn't even manage to do short 8 minute school contacts.

I am not aware than the Ericsson handhelds have any repeater capability so
until the new D700 can be commissioned there is nothing that can act as an FM
repeater.

BTW someone kindly sent me this link to details of the Service Module antennas,
Thanks

http://knts.tsniimash.ru/shadow/en/FAQ.aspx

73 Trevor M5AKA