Peter,

Most of us really miss the old birds.  I was transferring satellite QSOs from
the 1980s through the
early 2000s to my electronic logbook, and was amazed at what I worked.

AMSAT-DL has an excellent P3 satellite, currently being updated, but
essentially ready to go. Here is
the problem:  $5M - $10M launch costs to HEO. Even a super discount rate of $1M
would be impractical.
In the old days, we could beg, borrow, and barter for launches at nominal rates
on test flights.
Unfortunately, the launch industry has matured, and can find buyers for even
the smallest spaces and
mass. Sometimes counties can get what I think of as National Prestige Rates for
a first launch, but
those days are largely behind us.  Personally, I am confident that AMSAT-DL
will fly their satellite,
but it is clear that future HEOs will be few and far between.

That is the highly abbreviated answer.

73s,

Alan
WA4SCA