SO-50 uses a corner mounted single UHF whip for the downlink, so it is linearly
polarized, and is often shielded by the body of the spacecraft. It also runs
about 250mw, which is pretty low. By comparision FO-29 is circularly polarized.
Operating portable on SO-50 it is extremely beneficial to be able to twist a
yagi to match or peak polarity for best signal. A typical home station
overcomes this with gain and circular polarity.

As far as frequency, SO-50 has developed a shift in the downlink frequency that
comes and goes. On a busy pass you can use the AFC function on the 910 to keep
the downlink centered, or you can do as I have by setting up a series of
entries in the doppler.sqf file moving the downlink frequency up and down in
2.5 khz steps. During a pass I will cycle through these to find the best one to
match the frequency of the day.

I hope these hints help...

73, Drew KO4MA