From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Bruce
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:43 AM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: Spam through amsat.org

i have had my amsat.org redirected email for some 15+ years. i now get
50-100 spam messages per day (as my callsign is pretty active on the web).
since my main email account is with at&t, they use yahoo. all of the spam
goes into through their spam filter and shows up in the spam folder. should
i use mozilla thunderbird to get my email, the spam filter in thunderbird
tags all of it and puts it in the spam filter. i browse through them just to
see if the filter was not to aggressive and gets rid of an email i want.

it is really no different than when we get some threads going that i do not
want to read and just hit the delete key. a nuisance, yes, but life goes on.

73...bruce

On 10/31/2013 10:28 AM, Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL wrote:
> At 01:22 AM 10/31/2013 -0700, Phil Karn <k...@ka9q.net> wrote:
>> A significant fraction of the spam I get on my primary email account
>> comes by way of the amsat.org email reflector; by my count, 18 of the
>> 76 spam emails I've received in the last day.
>>
>> But I don't want to just shut it off; sometimes people I do want to
>> hear from make contact that way. And I've used it to contact others
>> whose email addresses I don't know, but who I know to be AMSAT members.
>>
>> I wonder if it would be possible to set up some sort of
>> auto-responder on amsat.org so that instead of just forwarding email,
>> returns a message to the sender with a non-machine-readable image of
>> the user's actual email address, possibly accompanied with a sound
>> file with the same information for anyone with impaired vision.
>> Spammers couldn't handle it, especially since most don't even use
>> valid return addresses. But any real human could resend his email
directly to its destination.

>> What do people think of this idea? How much of a problem is spam for
>> everyone else here?
>>
>> Phil
>

> I'm Hardly getting any spam or fishing through the reflector, maybe
> only one or two a week.  Whenever anything looks like spam I check the
> headers and see if it came through the reflector.
>
> KB7ADL

Bruce Paige, KK5DO

AMSAT Director Contests and Awards

Houston AMSAT Net - Wed 0100z on Echolink - Conference *AMSAT* Also live
streaming MP3 at http://www.amsatnet.com Podcast at
http://www.amsatnet.com/podcast.xml or iTunes

Latest satellite news on the ARRL Audio News http://www.arrl.org

AMSAT on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/amsat