It's got a weaker downlink. I don't think the receiver is any less
sensitive than the other birds, but since it's only running 250 mW, it's
harder to hear.

The other issue is that SO-50 doesn't transmit a constant carrier like
AO-27 did (did AO-51? I never operated through it), so it doesn't sound as
"smooth" during a pass.

In case you missed it, the control operators are working on recovering
AO-27, so lets hope they are successful. I listened to the packet tones as
they commanded it during a pass this afternoon and the transmitter sounded
good. Nice strong signal.

I too prefer the linear birds, but since there are lots of grids where hams
only have FM equipment, it'd be nice to get AO-27 back to tide us over
until Fox-1 launches next year.

73,

Paul Stoetzer, N8HM
Washington, DC