> ... None of these cubesat developers has made any significant attempt to
> rally
the amateur radio satellite community ...

That is because very few of the organizations/campuses with satellites being
deployed
this week have public relations professionals to properly promote their
projects. And
if they do have public relations departments, they have not been "educated" as
to the
true value of their projects to the amateur radio world.

That's OUR responsibility. And we all can share the blame for this.

NASA does it well with their 28-page Guide to conducting an ARISS contact.
Included are
timetables for media alerts (used to be called "press releases"), detailed
step-by-step
instructions for micro-managing every aspect of the project ... THAT'S what
"we" should
develop for EVERY one of these amateur radio satellite projects for schools and
amateur
satellite builders could use to better promote their projects. Of course,
project
managers can opt not to use such a guide. But when they realize the free
publicity their
project could easily garner (media attendance and coverage, promotion by AMSAT
on their
various Web sites, et al) - "we" would make it very attractive TO use such a
guide.

I think AMSAT-NA should take the lead on this, and establish a committee to
develop
such a plan for future projects. I volunteer.

Clint Bradford K6LCS
909-241-7666 - cell, California