Thanks for the explaination Wouter. It sure is a fantastic transponder!

Henk, PA3GUO

ps: indeed as stated everywhere: 5W uplink is more than enough for a strong
downlink.

Van: Wouter Weggelaar [mailto:wouter...@gmail.com]
Verzonden: zondag 29 december 2013 22:53
Aan: PA3GUO
CC: AMSAT-BB
Onderwerp: Re: [amsat-bb] Funcube-1 is +10 kHz on the uplink?

Hi Henk,

What you are seeing is the combined effect of various oscillators drifting
over temperature and some static offsets present.

It is not so easy to have these offsets quantified as static numbers.

The oscillators were designed to be extremely low power, and temperature
compensation is therefore limited. we do not have the power on board for PLL
based frequency generation. With the current state of the art, this is
possible, but not when the circuit was designed.

The power budget of a one Unit CubeSat is challenging, and FUNcube is the
first 1U CubeSat to include a linear transponder.

At the moment we are nice and power positive, but the system was designed
with the degradation of the battery and solar arrays in mind.

So in the end, I am afraid you will have to guesstimate based on
temperature.

Wouter PA3WEG

FUNcube transponder designer