Scott,
Frank, K4FEG here, I do not know if this would applicable to your situation, but while I was having control issues with my Icom Ic-910H and SatPC32, I reached out to Erich (writer of SatPC32) about the issues and he told me that some of the cables and other interface modules (USB/Serial adapters) need to have the /*FTDI chip set*/ in them, /*I had to search for a specific type of USB/Serial adapter that had the FTDI chip set in it.*/

Once I got this adapter, and plugged it in on my Windows 8 and 7 PC's, both operating systems instantly recognized the device and loaded the proper driver to make the adapter work. /*Erich explained that the PROLIFIC chip set, which is common in North America seems to have an issue with his program.*/

Another note is that there may be a firmware update for you Kenwood. I have had others tell me that their TS-2000 would not properly control with SatPC and when they got the various firmware updates for their specific model radio, it helped to resolve their control issues.

I do not know if this information is of help or not but I thought that it might, you may post your question on my BB, Star-COM.net, if you like. My bb tries to cater more to real life situations and operations on the satellites and working with operators and rovers to facilitate working new grids on the "birds" you are most welcome to come visit there if you wish.
73 & best regards,
Frank
K4FEG