----- Original Message -----
From: "Gus" <g...@8p6sm.net>
To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 2:20 AM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: Question for the antenna gurus

> Thanks for all info, Dom.
>
> to construct a large (2M) helix with light weight, a non-traditional
> design of some sort might be tried.  Perhaps paint the helix on the
> surface of an inflatable cylinder, with conductive paint?

Hi Gus, 8P6SM

In my opinion it is best to use for the helix a thick  annealed
aluminum pipe because an inflatable cylinder for 2 m and 70 cm
with conductive paint has been experimented for high frequencies
but the tube is extremely large in diameter for 2m and 70 cm.

> Also, what if the coils/turns are something other than circular? perhaps
> rectangular or triangular?

If you use a coils/turns rectangular shape elements with a proper reflector
and feed system you make a "Qubical Quad "

> The brain has been tossing out crazy ideas recently, but in my
> experience, crazy ideas are not always crazy...

If the ideas are supported by a right theory they are not crazy ideas as it
was demonstrated by Dr. John Kraus W8JK the inventor of the axial-mode
helix antennas.

I suggest you to read the book "BIG EAR" by John Kraus edited by Cignus
Quasar Books Chapter 13 CORKSCREWS containing the Kraus idea on
how borned  in his brain the idea to invent the axial-mode helix antenna.

In a separated email I have sent to you the article "The advantages of
circular polarization" by K4KJ that explain the above matter with many
drawings and pictures.

Have fun.

73" de i8CVS Domenico