Hi Bill,

As the owner of a Yaesu FT736r (another one-direction CAT rig), I've found it's
easiest to let the computer run the antenna rotor, but leave the knobs to my
own nimble fingers.   For FM, certainly let the computer run the rig.  For SSB
I make a lot of use of the tracking knob - which links the up and down links
inversely to scan the band to find a QSO, then adjust the upper band's
frequency for Doppler from there.  Finding myself just takes a little practice,
and a few dits.

As for the software, I use GPredict for pass prediction and "eye candy" during
the pass.  My rotor controller is home brewed, as is the CAT client, so that's
not going to help you, but I believe the recent versions of GPredict / HamLib
will drive many radios and commercial rotors.

Good luck,

Greg. KO6TH