I tried an experiment today on the 1630Z pass . My normal operating on SO-50 is a FT-530 (5W) to a standard Arrow... that’s about 15W ERP, correct?

Today I tried a smaller, CJU antenna on RX (on the FT530), and my 45W mobile on my stock 1/2 wave mobile antenna (looking for a quick and dirty set-up...
standing next to the car, mic through the window).

It was a 55 degree west pass for me. I confirmed I had the correct tone set and was on simplex and high power, and I could not hear my myself. Not even
near AOS and LOS (low on the horizon).

Was I subject to the null off the top of the mobile TX antenna? for those of you who operate from your cars, what do you use for a TX antenna? Power?

(btw, the CJU was a bit of a disappointment.... usable, but not great)

Bill W1PA

(also btw, that was NOT me calling "CQ CQ 1 2 3" with no ID on that pass -- if it was _you_ reading this email, please go back and read one of the FM satellite primers)