Bob,

I can tell you from years of experience with writing tracking programs for
Windows and iOS that one of the biggest problems is decay. Strange things
happen to math routines when the altitude of the satellite drops below the
surface of the earth. One solution is filtering out these decayed sats from
the list. The tracking program is the easy part the hard part is dealing
with "bad" tle data. The old saying in the computer biz - "garbage in,
garbage" out.

Less you think this stuff is trivial take a look at this fine work by G3RUH.
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/articles/g3ruh/111.html

Maintaining lists of satellites and web pages is very time consuming. Some
quit because it is a PITA. Fortunately there are some truly dedicated souls
who do not give in to the lame PITA excuse.

Dr. T.S. Kelso  <ts.ke...@celestrak.com> is one. He maintains the most
reliable set of sat tle data I know of.
http://www.celestrak.com/

Another is Erich Eichmann who puts in countless hours of his time
maintaining and improving SatPC32. We all owe a great deal to these two
pillars of the hobby.

I suggest using the Celestrak data sets exclusively. There will be the
occasional sat that has decayed that may cause a problem but that is the
nature of the hobby. All the sat tracking programs are complex - the only
thing more complex than trying to figure out a sat tracking program is
trying to figure out two of them. I am sure others have a different opinion
but IMHO stick with SatPC32.

73 W9KE Tom Doyle

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 10:53 PM, Bob- W7LRD <w7...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I can not get it to run (satpc-32). Someone said it is because of a
> inactive satellite in the list. Which one?? It will just keep happening.
> Also I am looking for a backup sat program as satpc32 is unreliable.
> Recommendations??
> 73 Bob W7LRD

Sent from my computer.

tom ...