Quoting Richard Lawn who wrote on Tue 2014-06-17 at 22:27:

> In an effort to resuscitate an older pc running windows XP (R.I.P.) I'm
> trying to get acquainted with Ubuntu. I made some headway today with FlDigi
> but need advice regarding a substitute for SatPC32 that will run under
> Ubuntu and handle CAT control,of my FT-847.

Another plus for gpredict here for the part of predicting satellites and
calculating doppler shift.

But..

When I look up controlling an FT-847 with gpredict I end up at sites like
http://www.neodux.com/read/HOWTO:_Configure_Hamlib_for_Linux_Hams_-_Part_2
which show it can be done "easy" when you are comfortable with running
things from the linux command-line. And as a recent starter this may be
intimidating to you.

Just a note so you're aware of this, I have no idea of your level of
knowledge.

> Any other Ubuntu ham programs
> like logging, digital modes etc. that anyone can recommend us appreciated.

For software defined radio Gqrx can be great. Not available via the ubuntu
ham software repositories, look it up on http://gqrx.dk/ how to add it to
ubuntu.

                                                     Koos van den Hout

--