Hi Rick,

Is the radio doing anything when you click on C- (going to C+) to enable the CAT system? If not, then you probably don't have the serial port side of things set up yet.

When you boot the system, Linux will create a set of "device files" in the /dev directory. One of these, probably /dev/ttyS0, is your real serial port. Wine needs to know how to map the DOS / Windows Com ports to these device files, and does that with a set of links in ~/.wine/dosdevices. If you go to that directory and type ls -l, you should see something like this:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users 10 Dec 31  2011 com1 -> /dev/ttyS0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users 10 Dec 15  2013 com2 -> /dev/ttyS1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users 10 Dec  8  2013 com3 -> /dev/ttyS2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users 10 Dec  8  2013 com4 -> /dev/ttyS3

If those files don't exist, you can create them with the command:

ln -l /dev/ttyS0 com1

Restart SatPC32 and see if that gets some activity out of the radio.

If the files do exist (and SatPC32 is configured to use the right one), then it might be that your user permissions don't allow you to access the serial ports. You can either run the program as root (not recommended), or change your user permissions to include "dialout" or "UUCP" in the list of groups (I forget which is the right one).

Good luck,

Greg  KO6TH

Richard Lawn wrote:
Some of you may have been following my attempts to continue to use a
vacation house P4 that had been running XP (still is but its painful to
watch and wait). I've been trying to familiarize myself with Linux using
Ubunbtu. I got FlDigi to work fine and WSJTX as well as a good log program
called CQrlog.

I got stumped though with my satellite operation. I tried with helpd to get
GPredict running but it (or Hamlib) was still buggy on the FT947 even with
the latest version.

I then, with help, installed Wine and dowloaded my favorite program -
SatPC32. To my surprise it works....almost. I don't seem to have Frequency
adjustment at the radio by using the CAT controls in the software. I also
can't change the mode to CW through the software. Is anyone using SatPC32
on a Linux platform? If so I'd like to connect tap your brain.

73 and hope to see you on the birds from my portable location at FN21

Rick
W2JAZ