To: "'AmsatBB'" <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2014 5:52 PM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] ANS-199 AMSAT News Service Special Bulletin -AMSAT Fox-1C Launch Opportunity Announced

I personally am going to ask my local Amateur Radio Club to throw a donation on the Fox 1C project. I challenge you to present the same request along to
your own local clubs.

I do numerous Radio Merit Badge presentations for the Boy Scouts and one of the things I love to do is to throw in a satellite contact opportunity. Yes linear passes are fun and very capable, but the concept of showing them that this kind of technology is available and doable with just a simple hand held
radio and an antenna that you can hold in your hand is much more in the
realm of "I could do this too if I had an Amateur Radio license" feeling.

Right now, we only one FM bird up there that can be counted on, SO-50, Fox
1A and 1B are still a year off.  (Lituanicasat-1 will be decaying within
days, and maybe two if the French FM satellite opens up soon).  Thus the
opportunities for these basic but, Oh for the Scouts, downright exciting
communication events is quite limited.  The AO-27 contact we did in one of
those Radio Merit Badge workshops (Before it died), sealed the deal for a
Scout and his dad who were attending and they both ended up getting their
tickets.  You can wow them with big ticket equipment and complexity (Smoke
and mirrors), but fun and excitement will get them hooked.  Often times,
simple is better.

An additional challenge for the HEO, MEO and Linear or nothing folks out
there is, instead of buying the next accessory for your already ample
station, give a donation to the FOX project (Or other national AMSAT-esque
project, FM, Linear or Digital), and let's get the ball rolling on many new
opportunities out there just waiting.  You donation may help get another
Scout/young person hooked on our aspect of the hobby.

Tom Schuessler, N5HYP