Bob,

I presume you are referring to Fatima Dyczynski the 24-year-old aerospace
engineer, a promising young
innovator, who founded her own technology start-up with a vision of making
space accessible to anyone.
She did her degree in aerospace, aeronautical and astronautical engineering at
Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands.
She reportedly worked on the amateur radio satellite Delfi-n3Xt.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/vibrant-life-of-young-space-engineer-cut-short-on-mh17-flight-20140720-zv0wy.html#ixzz38ruDhWrn

I don't know if she was licensed.

I also saw the stories about the Ukrainian Air Force Pilot ceased by insurgents
and currently held in Russia Надія Савченко. Her name
was converted to English by various news sources as either Nadia, Nadezhda,
Nadiya or Natalia Savchenko. She used to be a Military Radio Operator and her
sister said of her "She can repair little problems with electrical devices".
Again may possibly be an amateur.

73 Trevor M5AKA