Good evening,

On the 0250Z pass of AO-73, I was delighted to hear and work Paulo, PV8DX,
very soon after AOS. While I have worked Paulo many times (five other times
in just the past week), this was my first intercontinental QSO on AO-73 and
my first intercontinental QSO on any satellite other than AO-7 and FO-29
with their higher orbits. My elevation was between 2 and 3 degrees during
the QSO. AO-73 is in a slightly elliptical orbit of 682 km x 595 km, but it
was at it's perigee of 595 km during this QSO. The distance between Paulo
and I is 4,337 km, 899 km short of the theoretical maximum of 5,236 km at
perigee.

I have posted audio and a graphic from SatPC32 showing the satellite's
footprint at the time of the QSO on YouTube: http://youtu.be/HLzMV7MGz0U

Although I rushed the QSO as I did not know how much longer Paulo would be
in the footprint, he was heard for another 30 seconds or so.

Equipment used was my normal satellite station: two Yaesu FT-817s, a High
Sierra Microwave LNAA146FIL preamp, and an Arrow II 146/437-10BP handheld
yagi. I was operating off my apartment balcony with a very good view of the
southern horizon in southwest Washington, DC.

73,

Paul, N8HM