Sun is doing a very good job optimizing the JVM... now, with mustang (Java 6.0), all swing components will be draw using the enviroment native gui toolkit (gtk for linux, uxtheme for windows and so on -- http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2SE/Desktop/mustang/ and
http://www.javalobby.org/java/forums/t72230.html)... I think that all this "Java is Slow" is a myth from the early JDK 1.0/1.1...

What? Doesn't like swing? So, give Eclipse's SWT a look:  http://www.eclipse.org/swt/widgets/

On the other hand, the language is very simple to understand, all good design patterns are simple to implement, the code is more reusable and even there is the possibility of program with python (Jython http://www.jython.org/), tcl-java (http://tcljava.sourceforge.net/docs/website/index.html), groovy ( http://groovy.codehaus.com), _javascript_ (http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/) and, well.. pick one: http://www.robert-tolksdorf.de/vmlanguages.html
All language implementations for the jvm can access all java libraries and can make standalone programs as well...

Now that java will eventually become opensource ( http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2156205/sun-promises-open-source-java), maybe even with GPL (http://www.javalobby.org/java/forums/t73163.html)  I see no reason to even the gnu/zealots complain about the java trap...

Sorry for being so boring with all these links... and I'm not saying that Java is the best for amsn development :)