On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 22:02 -0400, Youness Alaoui wrote:
> :'(
> I just looked at some python code.. omg... this is horrible.. how could
> such a language be that popular.. indentation is part of the syntax ? omg,
> the last language I know of that has indentation as part of the language
> is... COBOL...
COBOL, i think that is from the time computers were still mechanical,
right? Anyway, if I would write a programming language (yeah, keep on
dreaming) indentation would be part of the language too. Now with tcl
(and c, and whatever) everyone has it's own style, and in a large
project there *should* be one coding style people conform to, but this
is not always true so you get less readable code. Anything you can do to
prevent that is nice in my opinion, indentation is a part of that i
think.

> I'm telling you, it might be better, but if we go that way, I think it
> won't be 'amsn' anymore... yes, even if we go into 'C mode', it won't be
> the same 'amsn' spirit, but hey, C is closer to our phylosophy than
> python... at least mine...
Python is interpreted, like tcl. In that way it seems much closer to our
philosophy then C. In my opinion interpreted is what got amsn to where
it is now.

> anyways, choosing the language is part of the design, and it shouldn't (of
> course) be based on our 'feeling', I personally heard SO MUCH about
> python, and I always hated it without knowing it, but I first saw some
> python code today, and I think I wasn't that wrong, it's 'degueulasse' ...
> choosing the language will be done in the design part, but my vote goes
> against python, I would say C, I can vote for part of it in Tcl/Tk (a mix
> of languages), I'm against Java, but could also be flexible for java
> stuff, but python, I'm against it...
I would vote against C, not only because I don't know it but also what
my teachers taught me about it (although they might have been slightly
biased since one of the students of that school was later one of the
creators of java :P)
my vote would go to java (but for the free as in speech one) but hey,
what do i know?

> I just hope my vote will be meaningful and will be taken into
> consideration (I don't want to be a dictator and refuse the language only
> because I personally don't like it even without knowing it)...
consider your vote been taken into account :P

DISCLAIMER: I don't know python either, and it might be a shitty
language or a great one, as like most of the time i am clueless.