On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Jason Linhart wrote:

> There are two interesting bugs here. I don't understand why standard
> Microsoft log format accepts the line but doesn't find the status code. I
> also don't know why your log format command didn't get a clear error
> message, you had %m twice when the second one should have been %n.

I think I can answer these. The first is that there is a catch-all at the
end of the Microsoft format, which looks like
  %*S, %*u, %d/%m/%y, %h:%n:%j, %j
Why is this there? I think there were lots of people with logfiles that
had not only W3SVC lines but also some FTPSVC lines and other things that
I didn't want to parse, but didn't want to mark as corrupt either. Can
anyone with this type of logfile confirm this, or is this line no longer
necessary?

For the second, maybe he's using 3.0, which didn't have such helpful
warning messages. (Or maybe he just didn't read the warnings. :)

--
Stephen Turner    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/
Normally: Statistical Laboratory, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1SB, England