On Thu, 6 May 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I realize that IIS log files cut the query string off of the request field
> and store it at the end of the log file line (whereas this doesn't seem to
> be the case with the referrer field of the log file).

Actually, that doesn't matter. Analog pastes it back together again. But
you need REQARGSFLOOR to see it.

> I have encountered several problems --
>
> When I run a monthly report with no restrictions other than pageinclude for
> html and idq pages my request report indicates 6888 visits to the search
> page before submission of a search term.  The referrer report indicates
> that the search page was a referrer 16912.  I don't get it.
>
> I though of accounting for the difference if images were included, but they
> aren't and there are quite a few on this page, so it would be larger by
> more that ~2x if I were overlooking some parameter.

Inline images are included. Maybe some people didn't download the images? To
answer this sort of question you really need to look in detail in the logs.
There's no general answer.

> Next problem.  I manually analyzed one days log file to see which numbers
> are correct.  I get half as many requests in the analog report with the
> search index page isolated with REQINCLUDE as I do counting manually.
> What's up with that?  It may be related to the above numbers being
> approximately 2x difference, but I am not sure.

Ah, yes, it might be related. What HTTP status code is returned by the
search page when there are search terms? If it's 301 or 302, these will be
listed in the Redirection Report not the Request Report.

> Also,  when I do a refinclude, does that apply to my other analyses such as
> my request report?

Yes. REFINCLUDE applies to everything, REFREPINCLUDE only applies to the
Referrer Report.

>  Or if I do a reqinclude, will that apply to my referrer
> report?

No: but it's analogous to the previous case: FILEINCLUDE applies to
everything, REQINCLUDE only applies to the Request Report.

> My pageinclude applies to all reports?

Yes.

> I think this search term analysis would be a really useful way for me find
> out what content visitors are really interested so that the content
> developers have an idea of what's missing from our site etc. and I don't
> seem to have an IIS provided search log.

I am planning to introduce a search term analysis in the next major version
of analog.

--
Stephen Turner    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/
  Statistical Laboratory, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1SB, England