On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Aengus Lawlor wrote:

> If you Log the User Agent field, you can make certain assumptions about
> the client. This may significantly increase the size of your log file,
> though, as the Agent string is sometimes as long as the rest of the log
> entry, excluding the referrer.

Indeed, analog 3.90beta gives an OS Report based in this information.

> >4. How well IIS 4.0 extended format is supported by analog 3.32?
>
> It's not IIS4 extended format, it's W3C Extended format (except for the
> Time-Taken field that we're arging about elsewhere :-).  I think it's
> fair to say that W3C Extended logs created by IIS4 are fully supported
> by Analog 3.32.

Well, and a couple of other changes. But yes, analog detects that it's an
IIS server, and makes the necessary changes to the draft spec.

One thing you have to be careful to do is log the date on every line of the
logfile, not just the time. Otherwise analog has no way of knowing which
date later lines in the logfile were on (it's not guaranteed that it's
rotated at midnight GMT every day).

--
Stephen Turner    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/
  Statistical Laboratory, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1SB, England