I've been using analog for years. Up until recently I was using a 1.x
version since I had no need to upgrade. But this week I decided to go
for an upgrade when I was installing analog for a new configuration.

I've never been very good at configuring analog and my new config
requires that I specify a custom log format. Unfortunately I get lots
(circa 30%) of my lines flagged as corrupt often for reasons I can't
identify.

Here's what I am using:

LOGFORMAT (%u %S - %j [%d/%M/%Y:%h:%n:%j %j] "%j %r %j" %c %b "%f" "%B")

And I seem to get 'corrupt' log file errors where I can't figure out
the error, even with the little error flag. Eg:

C: "geoffmac.lanminds.com" - - [09/Nov/1999:23:25:41 -0800] "GET /images/ph2.jpg
HTTP/1.0" 200 19910 "http://store.cddb.com/news.html" "Mozilla/4.51 (Macintosh; I;
PPC)"
C:                                                   *

For the benefit of those for whom that line has folded, the '*'
is at the 54th char on the line, which corresponds to the '-' of
the time zone ('-0800'). Why isn't the %j working on that line?

Also I find the documentation a little bit vague on two points
so far:

1  Can I specify multiple log formats to try to apply? If so how
   is precedence determined? In this logfile, the first field is
   a cookie to identify a user. But if the user has actually
   logged in (the first %j in the format line) I'd rather use that
   to be the user over the cookie. Eg:

   # cookie version
   LOGFORMAT (%u %S - - [%d/%M/%Y:%h:%n:%j %j] "%j %r %j" %c %b "%f" "%B")

   # logged in version
   LOGFORMAT (%j %S - %u [%d/%M/%Y:%h:%n:%j %j] "%j %r %j" %c %b "%f" "%B")

2  What exactly does %j mean? I'm very comfortable with regular
   expressions, do a definition in terms of regular expressions would
   be useful. My guess is that it is something akin to /.*?/ in Perl.

Thanks for any help,
Benjamin