Alejandro Fernandez wrote:

> Also, here at Sift we're starting to parse logfiles into a database, so we can
> work "group by" magic on them to do with all the other data we have. Anyone
> else done that?

I'd be interested to know your experience on this. Mine has been that logfiles
bring database servers to their knees. You'll need a fairly powerful database
server to handle this (Oracle, Sybase,...). And something to consider is that with
logfiles, you don't really care about the records, you just care about the overall
picture they present. Also, the space requirement will be HUGE: databases usually
incure 2 - 5 times the (uncompressed) flatfile storage space.

On the otherhand, a database gives you a lot more flexibility in generating reports
(SQL on logfiles!).

HTH,

Jeremy Wadsack
Wadsack-Allen Digital Group