> My analog crashes during DNS lookup at the very same logfile line each
> time: the IP in question is
>
> 212.240.10.1
>
> Could some kind soul resolve that address for me?

Odd that it should crash.  No reverse DNS on it; it appears to be a dialup in
the UK (Sam Spade can do an IP lookup on the netblock and a traceroute as
well:
http://www.samspade.org/cgi/nph-lookat.cgi?address=212.240.10.1&whois=on&ipblock=on&traceroute=on
) -- but there's not much useful info there.

> and I would bet a pound that it is a spider of some sort.

If so, it's a spider on some schmuck's home box, not a bona fide search
engine or anything (probably didn't look at robots.txt either).

Hope that helped.