> As for extending analog in future to make these type of things easier -- I
> have a long-term ambition to write analog so that several reports can be
> produced in one run. This would solve many of the problems. The data
> structures in version 3 were already chosen with this in mind. But unless
> someone's offering me a salary to develop analog full time, I don't know how
> soon it will happen.
>
> Several people (including Jason & Jeremy in the current thread) talk about a
> more flexible report template. This is an attractive idea. But I'm not quite
> sure what such a thing would look like. It's easy to imagine one which
> generalises any specific person's requirements. It's not so easy to imagine
> one which generalises everyone's requirements simultaneously. :) In any case
> it too would require substantial development resources which I don't
> currently have.

Might I suggest http://www.cosource.com -- open funding for open source.  Put
the suggestion on the project list with a dollar figure which you think would
make it worthwhile for you, make a proposal that makes it clear you're the
author, and then try to drum up support (people can pledge any amount towards
funding that change.)  It's an experimental site but an interesting business
model.  I'm currently working on a project through them.

Surely the corporados on the list can convince the pointy-haired ones that such
a change is in their own interests as well?  Since the recent (though still
mitigated) success of Linux in the real-life marketplace, open source is a
buzzword bandwagon -- might as well milk it while it's good.

Just a thought.

Michael