"Sean D. Ackley" wrote:

> Hello, I am looking for Estimated User Sessions or the Estimated number of Visits
>that people make to the site.
>
> I have my Apache using session cookies in order to track this.  I know the count
>will not be 100% accurate, but it should give a good idea.  Between using the IP
>address, time delay, and the session cookie, we can get close.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how to implement this within Analog?  Is there any other
>code that will generate these results?  Or is anyone else running with these stats?

If you aren't using the (Authenticated) User Report or Virtual Host Report you can
'hijack' one of these to work on a different data quantity. You do this by configuring
Apache to log the session cookie (part of the custom
logging), and then, in an Analog custom log format use %u or %v to match the data.

Using %u is better, because you can get a General Summary item that matches the total
count (which is more interesting that each individual cookie, that you'll get in the
report).

You can then change you language files (or Report Magic language files, if you are
running that) to reflect the change in the data, with a label like "Estimated Vists,"
"Estimated Sessions," "Number of Session Cookies
Delivered," "Some Number Partway Between Total Requests and Unique Hosts," ... :)

Jeremy Wadsack
Wadsack-Allen Digital Group