Tore Haugland wrote:

> I started to get more and more corrupt logfile lines, so I used two good
> configuration commands; "DEBUG C" and "ERRFILE errors.txt" to find out what
> the problem was.
>
> I discovered that these errors was due to that some referrer and/or browser
> info had a " within the "" that marked the border of the field.
>
> --- Two examples:
> cache-rk07.proxy.aol.com - - [27/Aug/2000:08:54:07 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.0"
> 304 - "http://www.site.com/" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; AOL 5.0;
> Windows 98; DigExt; Mozilla/4.0 (compatable; MSIE 5.0; Windows NT; by:
> "SysTec a Better Brand of Internet Access")"
>
> aa190-95.tqci.net - - [02/Sep/1999:18:13:48 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200
> 5672
> "http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?pg=q&what=web&fmt=.&q="play+station+cheats""
> "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows 98)"
> ---
>
> The log format is detected to be in "NCSA combined format". I get the
> logfiles from my webspace provider, so i have no way to change the logging
> by the webserver.
>
> Is there any way to fix this?

1] Preprocess the logfiles to convert them to a different format either removing the
quotes or using a different delimiter to set off the browser field (and writing a
custom
LOGFORMAT to coincide).

2] Email the folks at altavista and systek and tell them to learn to properly escape
URLs and abide by User Agent standards, respectively.

HTH,

> TIA for any help,
> Tore Haugland

Jeremy Wadsack