For information about analyzing search engines requests,
you might want to look at SEARCHENGINE commands
in the Configuration Files section of the Helper Applications
page (http://www.analog.cx/helpers/index.html#conffiles) and
at the SEARCHENGINE command itself in the Analog docs
(http://www.analog.cx/docs/args.html#SEARCHENGINE).

-- Duke Hillard, University Webmaster, UL Lafayette

Ian Stong wrote:

> Perhaps a bit of a side topic - but trying to see what people are doing
> relating to Spiders, Crawlers and Search Engines and the logging, blocking,
> tracking of them, etc.
>
> Specifically wondering if it's possible to limit spiders/crawlers to only
> certain parts of your web site (perhaps with robot.txt files)?
>
> Also found a 3rd party file with Analog called srch.cfg that lists search
> engines, etc in the file.  I've mentioned it in my analog.cfg file but not
> sure how to make use of it.  Is it used to generate a seperate report to track
> search engine accesses to your site or something else?
>
> Looking for someone who has implemented ways to track spider. crawler, search
> engine access to a site and ways to minimize/block that traffic.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ian
begin:vcard
n:Hillard;Duke
tel;work:337-482-5763
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.louisiana.edu/
org:University of Louisiana at Lafayette;University Computing Support Services
adr:;;P.O. Box 42770;Lafayette;LA;70504-2770;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Computing Resources Coordinator
fn:Duke Hillard