I am trying to get the Web log analysis tool Analog
(http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/analog/), and specifically the web
triggering/report generating form (part of the Analog distribution)
"anlgform" to work on my setup. It is...

Beige G3 running...
Mac OS 9.1 (w/MacPerl)
WebSTAR 4.4
Analog 5.01

Currently, I have a couple small perl scripts that run fine with my MacPerl
setup.

But for "anlgform.html" and anlgform.pl" I can't seem to get the
configuration right. I'm rather new to Perl and CGI scripting, and I
understand that MacPerl can be a bit weird compared a standard Perl flavors.
The directions in the config files seem clear enough, but it just won't work
for me.

Some questions/info:

In "anlgform.pl" the original 21 lines are...

--------anlgform.pl--start----------------------
#!/usr/bin/perl -T
###
###              analog 5.01             http://www.analog.cx/
### This program is copyright (c) Stephen R. E. Turner 1995 - 2001 except as
### stated otherwise. Distribution, usage and modification of this program
is
### subject to the conditions of the Licence which you should have received
### with it. This program comes with no warranty, expressed or implied.
### Remember: Even the most carefully-designed CGI programs can accidentally
### have serious security bugs! See docs/form.html for notes on security
### design.
###
### anlgform.pl; the cgi front end for analog

# 1) uncomment (remove everything before $analog) and edit one of the next
two
#    lines to give the location (full pathname) of the analog executable.
#       Unix: $analog = '/usr/local/etc/httpd/analog-5.01/analog';
#       Windows: $analog = 'C:\program files\analog 5.01\analog.exe';
# 2) If you're on Unix, edit the first line in this file to give the
location
#    of Perl (don't remove the #! though).
# 3) You also need to edit anlgform.html if you want to use the form.
# 4) Add to the forbidden commands below if you want.

--------anlgform.pl--end----------------------

I uncommented and modified line 16 to read...

$analog = 'MaxMac Server HD:WebSTAR:analog:Analog 5.0.1';

In "anlgform.html", the original first lines are...

--------anlgform.html--start----------------------
<title>Analog form interface</title>
</head>

<h1><!-- img src="/images/analogo.gif" alt="" --> Analog form interface</h1>

<!-- Make the edits below. You also need to edit anlgform.pl. -->

<!-- First, uncomment the img tag above, edited if necessary. -->

<!-- Next, uncomment the following line, edited to reflect the correct -->
<!-- location of anlgform.pl in you server's filespace. -->
<!-- form action="/cgi-bin/anlgform.pl" method="POST" -->

--------anlgform.html--end----------------------

I uncommented and modified line 14 to read...

<form action="/cgi-bin/anlgform.pl" method="POST">

I also too the raw text file of "anlgform.pl", opened it in MacPerl, and
saved it as "CGI script"

So, what happens? Going to anlgform.html (local to my LAN,
"http://192.168.0.3/analog/anlgform.html";) displays the page fine, clicking
the "Produce statistics" button results in MacPerl launching the script, but
a Netscape 4.7 dialog box saying "This document contains no data..." etc.
Using IE 5.0 I get the browser window displaying "Error executing CGI
application."

What am I doing wrong? Any tips or insights will be greatly appreciated.

--Douglas