Hi Jami.

In my experience, managers are eager for "unique visitor" numbers because
many of the expensive logfile analysis applications DO provide a figure for
this category, and as a result many sites make "user" claims in their
advertising rate cards and promotional material.

It's a total conceit, however; most of these "user" reports are simply
counts of unique IPs.

What I would suggest (which seems to have worked all right for me), is that
you take a little time to explain to the head of this web site exactly why
counting IPs as "users" is a bad idea, and exactly why it results in
misleading and inaccurate conclusions about site traffic. Then I would offer
to provide the results of the Analog host report, which does count IPs, so
he/she at least has a figure to compare with competitors' figures. Just make
sure he/she has a clear understanding of what the IP count really means.

Others on this list may disagree with this approach, but my feeling is that
it's okay to use IP counts to get a vague sense of the breadth of your
audience (and its up/down trends), so long as you're very clear that one IP
does not equal one person.

Anyone else have thoughts?