"Peter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> With reference to one of my earlier posts i am including one of the
> lines as it comes to me through email. I understand the lines are
> being broken up. I have tried to manually edit some lines so that
> they are all in one and this seems to work. Unfortunatly i am reading
> 850+ corrupt lines with about 5 days of files still to open! I have
> tried inserting logfile common, plus about five others with no success.
> I have looked at the tutorial for creating a log string but to be
> honest i dont really understand how the various strings relate to the
> code.
>
> 194.117.133.196 - - [27/Jan/2002:13:37:13 +0000] "GET
> /images/diagnosis.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 891 "http://www.paains.org.uk/";
> "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0; T312461)"
>
> Can anyone help? I am getting stuck.

The second sentence in the documentation on defining a LOGFORMAT is:
"Most people don't need to do this because analog can detect the format
automatically -- try it first and see, because you will save yourself a
lot of trouble!"

Analog recognizes the sample line you have provided without any LOGFORMAT,
provided it's all on one line. There is no possible LOGFORMAT that will
allow Analog to recognize these entries if they are split over multiple
lines, so you're wasting your time looking for an Analog solution to the
problem of your e-mailed log files - it's not an Analog problem, so there
is no Analog solution.

Either get your provider to send the logs to you as a attachment
(preferably zipped), or, if that's not possible for the existing logs,
just use the search and replace function in a text editor that can
recognize line ends. (You could use Word, for example). You can probably
get 90% of the work done by deleting all carriage returns, and then
replacing all occurences of
   )"
by
   )"<carriage return>