On 2/8/02 8:17 PM Peter Reid ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

>>That all makes sense to me, there are no request names or byte counts in
>>your sample log.
>>
>>When I drag and drop that log onto the Analog application I get exactly
>>the error messages you describe below. Drag and drop attepmts to
>>determine if a file is a log file or a configration file by looking at
>>the first character. If the first character is a '#' it assumes that it
>>must be a configuration file. That assumption is wrong in this case, but
>>there is no need to use drag and drop, so you can avoid the problem.
>>
>>Jason
>
>I think there's a bug in Analog since it seems to only behave like
>you say if the log file is called "WebSTAR.log", any other name and I
>get the error messages.

It shouldn't have anything to do with the file name. I tried a few other
names and didn't have any problems. I'm not sure if there is a bug or
not, but no one else has had this problem and I can't see anything in the
code that could cause the effect you are seeing other than drag and drop.

>However, maybe Analog is the wrong tool for the job in this case?
>I'm trying to analyse a W3C Extended format log file generated by
>router software rather than a Web server.  I'm interested in seeing
>summaries of activity and sites visited by the client systems on my
>network that access the Internet through the router software
>Vicomsoft Internet Gateway, which is quite different to web serving.
>Web serving is all about incoming traffic whereas routing is all
>about outgoing requests.  Perhaps the log produced by such an
>application, whilst conforming to one of the logging standards,
>produces output that Analog can't really help with?
>
>If Analog is the wrong tool for analysing router traffic (but great
>for analysing my web server traffic!), can anyone suggest an
>alternative for this routing purpose?

Analog will do what you want, but you will have to do some fairly complex
configuration to get it to work the way you want. Essentialy you need to
convince Analog that the fields in the log are actually other fields and
then translate back when you read the reports. I don't know that you have
that many other choices on the Mac, although several programs do exactly
what you want on the PC.

Jason

[EMAIL PROTECTED]