----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Turner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Analog Group" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 10:32 AM
Subject: Re: [analog-help] Output Templating

| On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, James Linden wrote:
|
| >     Does analog have any (hidden) support for true output templating? The
| > header, footer, stylesheet, etc. are great, but are pretty restrictive. I
| > browsed through much of the documentation, and was unable to find anything
| > definitive on the subject. After playing with the computer readable output
| > format, I found that it /could/ be used to export to various templates,
| > but would take some interesting parsing. CSV could be used, but parsing it
| > is much more complex than it needs to be.
| >     If suggestions for a solution will be entertained, I am willing to put
| > some time and effort into developing a modular XML based output format
| > that will be more easily machine readable, and thus, simplistic to make
| > scripts to convert to whatever templated output is desired.
| >     If this isn't an option, please let me know so I can start writing the
| > parsers for the other formats. :o)
| >

| Jeremy's answer is quite correct, but I should add some comments.
|
| Output templates are an idea I've been pondering for some months, but I
| haven't resolved satisfactorily yet. At the moment I have a freeze on more
| output formats, because it's become unscalable to add any more, but there
| are several more I should like to add. The problem is that I can't work out
| how to construct a template which includes even all of the current output
| formats as instances. They all seem to have ugly special cases.
|
| James, if you have any ideas on this, then let's talk further.
|
| --
| Stephen Turner, Cambridge, UK    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adelie/stephen/
| "This is Henman's 8th Wimbledon, and he's only lost 7 matches." BBC, 2/Jul/01

Steve,
    I am not going to claim to know anything special or be able to provide an
idea that hasn't been previously noted before. I do seem to have a knack for
data conversion of various kinds. I think that is basically what you are
presenting as the issue - right? In my personal experience, I have found that a
straight text or XML format as the core has solved 85% of any templating issues
I have worked with. Admittedly, I haven't worked with the specific needs of log
data, but I have worked with some other "everything is a special case" data. If
you want to give it a shot, I would like to have some discussion about the
templates, and maybe an idea will come out of it.

James