"James Linden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Error:    analog: Warning C: Bad argument in configuration command:
>           ignoring it:

and ....

The next line of the output tells you which line has the bad argument.
LOGFORMAT and APACHELOGFORMAT only take a single argument (though it may,
of course, contain multiple elements if it is suitably quoted). That error
indicates that you either have too many arguments, or an argument that
Analog can't make sense of (like LOGFORMAT kodekrash)

> Question:    What gives? Are there any reserved characters that might
make
> Analog barf on the log format, like a pipe "|"?

Have you tried taking the "|" characters out, to see if the error message
goes away? (For what it's worth, the "|" character doesn't cause problems
on NT. I would expect that it should also be handled properly on unix
systems too, but I don't have access to one to test that at the moment).

> analog.cfg - all the different variations I tried, one at a time
> LOGFORMAT "%v | %h | %t | %H | %m | %U | %>s | %B | %T | %{Referer}i |
> %{User-Agent}i"

That's an APACHELOGFORMAT, not a LOGFORMAT

> APACHELOGFORMAT "%v | %h | %t | %H | %m | %U | %>s | %B | %T |
%{Referer}i |
> %{User-Agent}i"

That should work. What error/warning message did you get for this line? It
doesn't generate any errors or warnings on NT.

> LOGFORMAT (%v | %h | %t | %H | %m | %U | %>s | %B | %T | %{Referer}i |
> %{User-Agent}i)

APACHELOGFORMAT, not LOGFORMAT.

> APACHELOGFORMAT (%v | %h | %t | %H | %m | %U | %>s | %B | %T |
%{Referer}i |
> %{User-Agent}i)

This also works on NT.

> LOGFORMAT kodekrash

Analog doesn't read your httpd.conf, so it doesn't know what kodekrash is.

> APACHELOGFORMAT kodekrash

ditto.

Aengus