Christine Rorer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm new too and would like to ask about what you've written below.
> Where exactly does this DNS file come from (dnsfile.txt)?  I'm trying
> to understand this DNS stuff...

Because DNS lookups are slow (very slow), Analog caches DNS lookups in a
file that you specify. The next time you run Analog, it checks the file
before it does the DNS lookup, and only does a DNS lookup for new
addresses that aren't in the DNS file.

Because Analog is designed to work this way, there are a number of 3rd
party DNS helper applications that use different techniques to generate
the DNS cache file, and they can usually create the file in a few
minutes, whereas Analog can take hours. (This is not a criticism of
Analog. Because the Analog code is designed to run on many different
platforms, it uses generic techniques to do DNS lookups, and only does
them one at a time. Most of the helper apps resolve many addresses at
once, and are typically platform specific).

So when you are using a 3rd party app to create the DNS cache file, you
use

DNS READ
DSNFILE some.dns.file

Analog will only use the addresses in the dns file, and won't look up
any "fresh" addresses it encounters. If you specify DNS WRITE instead,
Analog will try to look any addresses that it can't find in the DNS
file, and write them to the file. If the file doesn't exist, and you
specify DNS WRITE, Analog will create it.

Aengus