W. Jeffrey Rankin ([EMAIL PROTECTED]; Monday, July 01, 2002 3:53 PM):

> I'm wondering whether I could (or should) exclude these types of
> 'hack' attempts from my web stats:

Should depends on whether it's important to you to know how much
traffic they generate.

> [Sun Jun 30 11:00:25 2002] [error] [client ***.***.***.***] File does not
> exist: /usr/local/apache/2.0.39/htdocs/_vti_bin
> [Sun Jun 30 05:16:46 2002] [error] [client ***.***.***.***] File does not
> exist: /usr/local/apache/2.0.39/htdocs/MSADC
> [Tue Jun 25 17:49:42 2002] [error] [client ***.***.***.***] File does not
> exist: /usr/local/apache/2.0.39/htdocs/scripts

> I'm getting hundreds of such requests every week (in various other forms
> like calls to 'cmd.exe', whatever that is!).

These may be attack attempts from IIS servers infected with one or
more of the worms that came out in the last year that exploit
vulnerabilities in the shipped versions of IIS. Although the ones you
list look like attacks on FrontPage support for Linux systems.

> They show up as 404 errors in my web stats.

Because your server (presumably) is not IIS (or is secured).

> I think I should exclude them as they're not really valid requests
> for files that can't be found. I'm wondering if I can do a
> REQEXCLUDE or similar directive in combination with a regex. My
> attempts so far have not been successful.

REQEXCLUDE will remove them from the Request Report. But these are all
failed requests, so they should only show up in the Failed Request
Report. To remove them from that report only, use FAILEXCLUDE, but
they still will be included in host reports, general summary, etc. If
you want to exclude these from all reports (as if the lines had not
been there) then use FILEEXCLUDE.

There are numerous examples of exclusion patterns in the list archives
of this list. Look for "Nimda" or "Code Red." However, this should
cover most of them:

FILEEXCLUDE /*/htdocs/*
FILEEXCLUDE /*/cmd.exe

--