As a general rule, DNS helper applications are
faster than analog at DNS lookups.  Which one
to use?  I used "xdns" but now use "jdresolve".
I liked the ability of "xdns" to merge DNS files,
remove old entries, and warn me if two names
were assigned to one IP.  It was easy to install
and configure, and the author quickly replied to
a question that I had about using the application.
I switched to "jdresolve" for its recursion feature
(faking a hostname based on the network that the
IP belongs to).  After switching, I was impressed
by its end-of-run report that provides information
that is useful for optimal configuration of the app.
Both apps were quick when resolving DNS for
20 MB log files (gzip size at best compression).
There are, as you noted, quite a few helpers for
DNS resolution.  If you look through this list's
archives (URI at end of every message to list),
you are likely to find periodic discussion and
recommendations about the various helpers.

-- Duke

P.S.  Since you mentioned your platform, I
should probably mention that I used "xdns"
on a 5 or 6 year old box with Solaris 6 & 7,
and "jdresolve" on same with Solaris 7 & 8.