Matt,

Respectfully, I think you're comparing apples to oranges in the way you're trying
to use INTSEARCHENGINE.The scenario you describe in your first paragraph is totally
beyond the scope of INTSEARCHENGINE, which is analyzing a named parameter within
URLs within your site--and doing so accurately. SEARCHENGINE, on the other hand,
reports aggregates of referrals from any search engines designated in your
configuration, and is intended to provide info on how people are getting to your
site using external search engines. You can add your site's internal search tools
to that list of search engines, but these searches are completely different in
nature from external searches and are just going to confuse the picture.

If you're looking for how people find your site through various search engines,
use SEARCHENGINE and exclude your site as a referrer. If you're looking for how
people search for content once they find your site, use INTSEARCHENGINE. They are
completely different questions and there is nothing to be gained comparing these
reports.

James Riemermann
MN Office of Tourism
651/297-2077
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

For travel info: www.exploreminnesota.com

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 10/23/02 03:24AM >>>
Hi Stephen,

Essentially, yes!

To Clarify, If I were searching for 'widgets' on a search engine say
'google', and my search found 40 hits. Let's say that it yielded 2 for my
site. The person clicks the google link and is taken to my site whereupon
the SEARCHENGINE param would get a hit. If that user subsequently hit back
and then clicked on the second hit, I get another. If they then click back
and come back to the first hit, I get a third hit for the same searchword
'widget'. If you look at the same scenario for the INTSEARCHENGINE results,
I'd only get 1 hit regardless of how many times the user hit back and moved
on to the next search result. Unless that user re entered their search
criteria and clicked search again.

My observation indicates that this actually isn't a minor discrepancy
between the two results, it turns out to be that the INTSEARCHENGINE
actually gets about 3-5% of the hits for our major keywords compared to the
referring site searches.

So, Yes, the INTSEARCHENGINE is a quality result whereas the SEARCHENGINE is
quantity and can be used as a basic scale to organize keywords. What would
be very nice, would be to get analog (optional) to ignore same IP/referrer
hits so as to score just a single hit for a search query/word to reduce this
back and forth ramping. As a further example, I have a keyword here for
"modem" which scores very highly. I have estimated that the analog result
for a month is about 14 times higher than reality since users constantly
appear to click back, visit somewhere else, click back revisit us, click
back, visit somewhere else on our site, click back and so on......

Like I say, it's an interesting anomaly and debateable as to if it's right
or wrong, just interesting.

Matt