Kally M ([EMAIL PROTECTED]; Wednesday, October 30, 2002 12:47 PM):

> One of my sites is doing a click-through campaign with one of their
> industries major websites. They report

> Impressions . .Clicks . . Yield
> 22,062 . . . . . 281 . . . .1.27%

> Our reports show only a very small number of hits form any referrer
> that might be associated with their website. I am not familiar with
> click-throughs, but would assume we would see the activity in our
> referrer reports.  Am I missing something?

> Thanks for any advice you can offer. :-)

This depends to some respect on how they have set up their
advertising. Clickthrough tracking is often handled with a script
which may reside on the medium's site or may reside on a server run by
a third-party ad delivery service (like doubleclick.net). So the
referring site you are interested in might not be the site the ads are
running on.

This is further complicated because some browsers don't present
referrer information when a redirection is followed. That is, when the
user clicks on the link, the click-tracking script tells the user's
browser to look at your site. But the browser may not tell your site
that the user was referred from the original ad site or the site
hosting the script at all.

The best way to collect and track clickthroughs is to give the ad
company a unique URL to use for each campaign. You can then use
Analog's FILEINCLUDE script to create a report that looks for just
that result (or look for it in your Request Report).

A simple way of building a "unique URL" is to add a CGI parameter to
the end of the request. So if you want to direct people to your home
page you could use a link like this:

     http://www.btndesign.com/?AD1000

The 'AD1000' parameter will be ignored for any HTML requests, but will
be logged in your web server logs and processed by Analog. Of course
you can use any valid code you want to. You might need to add
"ARGSINCLUDE /" to make sure that those request arguments show up in
the Request Report.

--

Jeremy Wadsack
Wadsack-Allen Digital Group