From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:owner-analog-help@;lists.isite.net]On Behalf Of Aengus
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 1:40 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [analog-help] QDNS usage

Jason M. Kuhlman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am trying to use Analog 5.24 but want to use QDNS lookup for DNS
> resolving.  I need help with the configuration file for analog.  How
> do I set up the analog.cfg file to output IP addresses to run QDNS
> against?  Then how do I put that information back into Analog's
> report?

Analog doesn't output IP addresses. QDNS looks at the same log files as
Analog does, reads the IP addresses, does the lookups, and generates a
DNS cache file. Then you configure Analog to read the DNS cache file

You can point QDNS at an Analog .cfg file, and it's supposed to read the
relevant settings from it (LOGFILE and DNSFILE, primarily), but you may
want to just specify the settings on the command line until you are
comfortable with it.

QDNS /L logfile.log /D dns.dns /Y (ip address of DNS server)

This will create the DNS cache file called dns.dns. I find that I have
to specify my DNS server address on Windows NT - I don't know why, but
QDNS seems to complain if I don't.

Then add these lines to your Analog.cfg:

DNS READ
DNSFILE dns.dns

Now, when you run Analog, it will use any hostnames that have been
resolved for the Host, Domain and Organization reports.

Aengus