sumner23 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In recent daily raw logs I now see an occasional entry:
>
> post/cgi-bin/formmail.pl
> OR
> post/cgi-bin/formmail.cgi
>
> The "visitors" (whose IP's are given) never go to an actual web page
> from there, and a few of them repeat the command.
>
> Are these attempts to hack into my mailbox?

No. They are attempting to use the formmail script www.scriptarchive.com/formmail.html

If you don't have formmail installed, then you these log entries should be 404's and
you don't have anything to worry about. If you do have Formmail installed, then you
should have it configured the way the documentation recommends, to limit who it can be
used to send mail to.

> If so, how would I know if they were sucessful?

Do the log entries have 200 status codes?

Aengus