I have several different but similar domain names, all redirected to my site. My idea was to give a different address to each of the people I place a conventional magazine advert with (there's only about five), so that when their readers type in the address to look at my site, I can tell from the Analog report what they had typed in and hence which adverts are getting the most response.

I had assumed that this would show in the Referring Site report, but it's not working as expected. These addresses have not been published yet, so I can tell that it's me testing and I know what address I've tried and when I tried it. The redirections all work and take me to the site.

On 1st December I typed in one of the addresses and this did come up in the Referring Site report. Looking in the log file, the first part is "GET / HTTP/1.0" 200 2929 "http://www.midtowncottages.org.uk/"; (This address is the one I typed in - he actual site is at the dot com version of the name). So far so good.

However, I have subsequently tried other addresses but they do not show in the reports. The log files show "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 2929 "-" and "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 0 "-" I do not understand the numbers here. The dash may relate to the fact that the name I have used has a dash in it or it may be nothing to do with it. The typed address does not appear in the log file by these two entries as it does with the first one. Any ideas?

Regards,
Mick Burrell