Eric Grace ([EMAIL PROTECTED]; Tuesday, January 28, 2003 11:04 AM):

> Hello,

> I'm new to using Analog and have a couple of questions regarding the use of
> Dates in the OUTFILE and ERRFILE:
>         1- ERRFILE does not seem to support date substitutions in the targetfile
>         2- OUTFILE and ERRFILE do not seem to create a directory structure on the
> fly if needed

> For example:
>         OUTFILE /logs/%Y/%M/%Y-%M-%d_access.log # desired targetfile
>         ERRFILE /logs/%Y/%M/%Y-%M-%d_errors.txt # desired targetfile
>         # errors out because the path does not exist.

> Am I missing something else in the configuraiton that would allow this?

There is nothing in the docs stating that ERRFILE supports date
substitutions (http://analog.cx/docs/debug.html#ERRFILE) and testing
it shows that it does not.

Analog does not create paths, you'll have to do that by hand. It
shouldn't be too hard to do with the date command from a shell script.

> Also, can anyone point me to some good background info on the application of
> analog in a mass virtual hosting environment?  Some standard approaches on
> the use of a single configfile or per host config files would be really
> appreciated.

There are some details in the HOW-TO's
(http://analog.cx/how-to/index.html) that can get you started.

When we setup mass virtual hosts, we always use a default
configuration file (analog.cfg in the Analog directory) and then add
per-host customizations. This makes it easy to quickly make global
changes.

Depending on the client we sometimes specify site-specific settings
from the command line and other times from a config file for the site.
It depends on how much customization each site is allowed and how you
store (or acquire) the custom information.

--

Jeremy Wadsack
Wadsack-Allen Digital Group