Hi Jeremy,

> As I see it the problem is that your are trying to get Analog to process
> a 385MB cache file with only 256MB of memory (although it should use
> swap, but that will be really slow, etc.). There are two solutions:

I made the experience, that this is really slow ;-)

> 1] (As Michael Hill suggested) put more memory on the machine. Really. I
> know your provider says they won't do that, but 256MB is kind of limited
> for a web server these days and certainly for a stats servers,
> especially as memory is so cheap.

No chance.  I think about changing the provider - but that's not important here.

> 2] Reduce the amount of processing that Analog does in memory. The cache
> file is essentially a serialized dump of the memory structure that
> Analog works on. If it's 385MB on disk, then Analog is going to need
> about 400MB of memory to work on it. Sure you can swap to disk, but
> that's really inefficient. Using LOWMEM commands won't help because you
> are already using more memory than you appear to have available. Short
> of using LOWMEM 3 which removes the data. Here are some suggestions:

I will try some of your suggestions - hope i will get along with the problem. thanks,
really good mailing list.

One simple question: how do you handle sites producing much logs? do you create
several cache files, i.e. every week?

thanks again
Andi Leppert

P.S.: Somehow I'm happy to have this problem - now I've got a better understanding of
analog which is really a great program!